Sunday, October 3, 2010

What Were You Thinking?

Have you ever walked away from a situation where, like a diamond bullet hitting your brain, you realize that, you walked away from an opportunity. You are saying to yourself, "Why didn't I do this or that and I could have really taken advantage of this situation". I think this has happened to all of us. Why did we not see the opportunity? Why were we not aware?

When we are feeling good in a situation our mindset changes such that we let down our guard, so to speak, and open ourselves to thinking through our emtions rather than our active mind.  Now thinking through your feelings is not a bad thing but we also must keep our active mind aware.

When I was a car salesman, many years ago, and struggling with getting sales, an old salesman, that had been at the dealership for 25 years, came up to me one day and said, "I see your problem. You are giving them too much information and not enough emotion."  I was taken aback a bit, but, to be honest, I had no idea what he was talking about. He said," Give the customer enough information to make a decision to buy and then make them feel good enough that they can give themselves permission to buy."  Then I understood.  I realized that when we feel good we begin to justify buying in order to keep that feeling. So why did I go down this long and raggled example?

Many opportunities cross our paths daily which can help us build success and wealth, but, at times we are too involved with the feelings of the situation to see them. The best way to begin keeping our active mind in the game and catch those opportunities is to look at each situation as a leaning exercise. Let me give you an example.

Recently I went to meet with a friend to talk about a possible fishing trip. I thought to myself before leaving, "What opportunity can I bring out of today's meeting?" As we sat and talked I kept focused on having a good time but listening and looking for an opportunity. Soon, I realized that my friend had extended knowledge of fishing and especially fishing with live bait. He talked about each bait he used for various species of fish and BINGO, the light went on!  Here sitting before me was a possible ebook on live bait fishing! So, near the end of our visit, I asked him would he mind if I sat and interviewed him about his fishing techniques and he was agreeable.  I don't know where this will go yet but I have grasped the opportunity.

The lesson is: we live in a world of opportunity. It is everywhere!  The difference between success and mediocrity is whether we grasp these opportunities or let them go with the flow and looking back ask, "What was I thinking?"

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    You have an extremely wonderful weblog. To turn out to be a prosperous individual the simple issue is to have positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete